From:
"Sandi Miller, RN" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:38:11 EDT
i am finally going to weigh in on an issue here.  I have had the honor of
being both a doula and a labor nurse, as well as a childbirth educator.  I have
gotten to see both sides of this issue and it is not an easy one for anyone
involved.  While it is true that there are many non-sympathetic HCP's out there
with there own agendas, there are also several people who feel the call to "arm
their clients with knowledge and weapons so they can fight the staff during
their birth process."  Both of these extremes are very dangerous and are doing
a great injustice to the patients.

       Penny Simpkin interviewed several women about their birth experience
and found one interesting fact:  It did not matter what or how many
interventions a woman received during the process that impacted her "story" over the
years.  It was how much a part of the decision process she was included in.
People do not want birth "to happen to them."  They want the control and respect
that comes with being part of the process.  I have applied this principle to all
patients and 99% of the time they walk away feeling good about the
experience.

       The bottom line is that every person comes in with the same goal:
Healthy mother and healthy baby at the end.  How we interpret what is needed is
what makes us all different and causes the problems.  I have found that those
with birth plans are just scared  couples who want to be a part of the process.
Yes some do go overboard and while it is frustrating to watch a  woman labor
for 3 days, staying at 2cm, knowing that some pain  med or a little pitocin
might make the process go faster/better, we still have to respect her right to
make those choices.  We can guide her gently into the decision, but should
never guilt her or force her into it.

       I have seen my share of nurses who start sharpening the knife when a
patient with a birth ball or birth plan walks in.  Arguing with these nurses
will not educate them.  I have seen these nurses amazed when I have gotten them
involved ina non medicated birth and they got to watch a woman at her most.
That is what brings them around to the beauty of choice.

       The same with breastfeeding.  I have converted more women to
breastfeeding just by giving them the choice.  "Don't think about doing this for a
year, try it for today."  Same thing the next day.  And the next.   Pretty soon
these women breastfeed twice what they had thought they would.

       I will continue to go to work everyday and see some of the most
beautiful deliveries on the planet and some that are akin to a rape.  I will still
do my best to give the control to the mothers and hope that when they tell
their stories forever it will be a positive one.

Sandi MIller,  RN, IBCLC, ICEA