From:
Margery Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 1996 15:06:54 -0500
Yes, Jan! Your image of watching your daughters finish a race is one I use
often when moms tell me they are planning an epidural because of the fear of
pain. I remind them of that very popular expression "No pain, No Gain!"
while pointing to myself and saying "I'm not an athlete! I was 38 when my
last baby was born. You know what? Two hours after my baby was born this
old, fat lady was walking around, spryly rummaging through the nurses'
fridge trying to find some juice or snacks. I met moms who had had pain meds
the day before--and each looked like the wreck of the Hesperus!" The benefit
of pain relief for most women seems to be false economy (and we all know the
rest of the story, as it relates to baby). The sequelae don't seem worth
it...

In the HMO I work in we have two childbirth classes (Lamaze) going
year-round but it is rare for me to meet a new mom who has had "natural"
delivery. 23% C-section; and I think "everyone" gets epidural, nubain, etc.
The OBs seem not to understand about natural deliverys, except when labor
goes so quickly there is no time for interventions. Forceps and vacuum
extractions are numerous. When I was pregnant I had dinner one evening shift
with a very nice OB in our practice. She casually inquired if I was planning
on having an epidural, and when I said no she looked genuinely concerned and
said "You are so brave!"

Mary in Scotland: when I mentioned to our only midwife your statistic about
the use of heroin in labor where you are her only response was "Yes, it is
very effective. We used to use it before it got a bad reputation from
abusers. We still use morphine as needed..." I came away in shock--she
hadn't a clue that maybe depending on drugs isn't in the best interests of
mother and baby...And this is our MIDWIFE. (Yes, shouting)

Jan, and others, I join you: Sigh. Sigh. Sigh.

Is there anyone out there who has come up with a program to bring Lamaze and
Obstetrical practice into sync? Those of you in childbirth ed? Or in
hospital programs? What works? I know that if women demanded it we could
have more natural childbirths, but I don't meet women who think it is
important.

Hoping doulas gain ground.

Margery Wilson, IBCLC