From:
Deanne Lawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jan 2010 15:43:55 -0500
I have worked at institutions that the staff has done this.  I found it to do more harm than good.  Simple sterile water often will do the same thing - cause the baby to be interested.  Sweetease in small amounts have to effect to relieve pain and possible cause less interest in feeding.  I saw those babies that had been exposed to sweetease for this purpose have more gas, less interest in feeding, and greater wt. loss.  The combination of suckling and the high concentration of glucose stimulate the endogenous opioid response in the baby.

The purpose/intention is to encourage latch not provide pain relief!  Perhaps of expressed colostrum or sterile water is a more optimal choice.