From:
Mary VanDerostyne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 2003 20:54:10 -0800
Hi Everyone,
I really need some help with a Mom I'm working with. Have been trying to get the needed information via the archives, but the ant-virus system that was recently installed in my computer keeps interferring with my ability to receive the attachments.
I've been involved with Lactnet for about 5 years, don't post very often, but read alot. The collective wisdom of this forum has been incredibly helpful to me over the years as I have limited opportunities to interact with other LCs. Anyhow, here's the situation:
Mom is a primip. Conception, pregnancy and delivery were all normal. No red flags to explain low milk supply, but since day 7-8 has been losing her supply dramatically. She has been pumping whenever possible, and breastfeeding every 2 hours. Baby gained normally, and had adequate stools and voids until day 8. She has been supplementing (per Dr.s instructions) since weight dropped from 7# 5oz to 6# 13oz on day 11. By day 12 weight had gone up to 7# (birth weight), but then was still just 7# on day 14, even with supplementing. She has never been able to pump more than 1 1/2 oz total, and today she's having trouble getting even that. She did experience breast enlargement and color change of nipples during pregnancy, but has not experienced any fullness since starting to breastfeed.  I want to suggest to her OB that he check her prolactin levels, as well as her thyroid. But if the prolactin levels are down, what is the recommended (and available in the US) treatment for increasing it? I'll be talking with him Monday, so if any of you have suggestions, please pass them along. Direct contact by e-mail would be much appreciated. Thanks for your help.
Mary VanDerostyne, RN, IBCLC
Livermore, CA
e-mail to: [log in to unmask]