From:
Nina Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2007 08:38:38 +1000
So, you have a baby who is well hydrated, meeting its developmental
milestones, started just over 3kgs who is now a little over four kilos (in
ten weeks = 100g a week which is within normal range of 80 - 250g/week).
Baby is otherwise healthy and happy. Output suggests that baby is getting
sufficient milk.  I have to say - at risk of being flamed - that I would not
be very worried.  (I lived with a baby like this.  He's 6'2" tall and weighs
about 65kg now. He had every barrage of tests under the sun as a baby.) I am
guessing the parents are not gargantuan.
I would suggest spending some time with this mother, triple checking
attachment, encouraging her to feed as often as the baby is interested,
co-sleep, so-bathe and carry baby in a sling most of the day. (just because
these are all good things to do)
Testing milk is a waste of time. There is no evidence that there is ever a
problem with the 'quality of breastmilk' (except perhaps when mum has had a
gastric bypass and so is severely malnourished) and there are no parameters
by which to assess it.
The problem might be with absorption of nutrients.  Has mum tried an
elimination diet to rule out the usual allergenic suspects?
I'd be reassuring this mum.
Nina Berry BA/Bed(Hons) Dip Arts(Phil)
Breastfeeding Counsellor
PhD Candidate - "Ethical Issues in the marketing of 'Toddler Milks'"