Date:
Fri, 7 Aug 2009 23:16:45 EDT

Jennifer writes:

My own  baby's tongue  also looked "normal" at first glance, in that there
was no visible frenulum, but she caused me unbelievable pain and shredded
my nipples within 12 hours of her easy, unmedicated   homebirth.

~~
Debbie and all,

Oddly enough just this Thursday I followed up with a baby, now 1 month, who
 had a shallow, painful unworkable latch that transferred no milk, and baby
had  lost lot of weight in the first 6 days before I saw him and his mom.
In the  meantime, baby has had some CST for pretty severe right-side
tightness all along  the trunk, shoulder and neck. He started gaining but continued
to have classic  posterior tongue tie issues: no workable latches,long
bottlefeeds with milk  loss and fatigue with lots of breaks, trouble managing
even slow flow assistive  feeding devices and no energy/patience for assistive
tube  feeding,  mild laryngomalacia, and some congestion as feeds progress
and afterwards. I  checked under the tongue at our first visit and neither
saw nor felt anything.  Baby's tongue extension was really good, but only with
mouth small, unable to  gape normally unless yawning, then tongue was way
back behind gumline.  I  kept thinking there had to be something there but I
palpated nothing that day,  the underside, center of the tongue was smooth
and relaxed. THEN, Thursday, when  the baby was crying really hard (after a
brief attempt at breast again, he  latched for a few seconds with a NS and
actually got almost half an ounce, but  then became
disorganized/fatigued/stressed.)I wanted to see if he could tube  feed on a finger, and he could only
get flow going for a few seconds before  giving up, and got angry/frustrated
fast. Hence the crying, while we readied the  bottle. SO I looked again,
and for some reason with the tongue under tension  during the crying, THEN I
felt the frenulum, small,short and very tight and  even slightly off-center.
( Maybe has something to do with the neck muscles  being so tight and
pulling the hyoid and therefore tongue?) Anyway, mom was able  to get an
appointment that afternoon with our dedicated, skilled, and really  supportive local
Ped ENT who the other ENTs think is nuts for releasing that  little piece of
skin. Right afterwards baby latched with NS and we all went HEY  when for
the first time ever we all heard a swallow at breast. Baby still has  other
issues to work out, but at least has a better shot, and it struck me as  odd
that I really know what to palpate for, and when the tongue was resting and
relaxed that day it was not under tension enough for that teeny little
piece of  skin to show its presence and restrictive nature. It reminded me of
something  Dr. Coryllos always said when I was learning to recognize the
restrictions: "If  it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a
duck." This baby's  tongue totally "acted" like a physically restricted
tongue and the baby's muscle  issues just didn't seem to be explaining his
feeding issues enough for me. Hope  that helps.

Peace,
Judy, off for vacation Sunday..    aaaahhh...:)
steps!
=JulystepsfooterNO115)