Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 22:36:56 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (37 lines)
I wanted to know if any of you who have had experience with a baby with major sensory issues can help me.  This is my conclusion after working with a client that her baby has some major sensory issues.
(if after reading the following any of you feel I am not on target, please let me know! )  I first saw baby at 4 weeks, natural birth, young healthy mother.  She had the baby in Vienna, and apparantly got some lousy advice.  Latched right on delivery table and baby "shrieked and cried".  Basically, mom was sore at 4 days and a nurse gave silicon nipple.  Mom put on, baby began eating, and by discharge, mom felt baby may not be getting enough because she was so fussy.  Began to pump and bottle feed and since then, baby refuses to latch.  By the time I saw this dyad, the baby was 4 weeks old and had not latched in 3 weeks.  She was so tense she would shriek and cry just going into BF position.   We got no latch, not with silicon or without.  There were definite issues here such as not baby led feeding, I am sure the latch was not great, etc. But, in addition to these problems,
Mom describes certain behaviors she noticed in baby:
    -She liked having diaper changed- being open
    -likes hard rocking not soft shaking
    -Likes being covered by a blanket- if not wakes up
    -likes the bath
    -likes "hard" or firm infant massage

I left her with co-bathing, tons of skin to skin, not even to bother to try BF at this point.  Continue pumping, etc-  I really felt until she erased all this negative feeling she would get nowhere.
I also recommended CST-
I suspected something sensory, but did not really know where to take it from there.   Told the mother to keep a log of anything else interesting.

I saw her one week later, and there was slight improvement.  We got the baby to latch two times, once with silicon when mom was rocking very hard in a glider, and part of the time standing up and turning in a circle, and the second time as the baby "crawled" up the stomach.  Both latches were only for a minute or two.  Not significant milk transfer- too short to be meaningful.
Although this was better that the previous week where we only got shrieks.
I was really feeling frustrated and totally stumped.  Every time the mother mentioned the word colic I would respond "I definitely think something is bothering this poor baby.  WE are just not smart enough to figure it out yet!"
Anyway, as a last resort, I fully undressed the baby and swaddled her very tightly with the softest thinest blanket.  I then layed her on two pillows in the football hold and told the mom to barely touch her.  It was like this veil of calmness fell over her almost immediately, and she calmly latched on and nursed.  She then got sleepy, and we added the silicon and she continued to feed nicely, swallows, etc.  This was basically the first time in weeks the mother had seen any sort of calm behavior.
At one point, the blanket got loose, and she started getting upset until I reswaddled her, and then she was calm again.
Help!  What is going on here?  I did hear from last years ILCA conference a tape on this, I am sorry I don't remember the lecturers- but I really enjoyed the tape.
I find it totally facinating, and on the other hand feel helpless.
If you don't mind to respond privately as well as to the list.  I am sure in Lactnet Land all of you experts have some good advice for me!
Thanks,
Jessica Billowitz, IBCLC
Israel

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2