From:
Jean Ridler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 20:50:22 +0200
The last week has been hectic and frustrating, so I thought I would share a
feel-good highlight.

It was time for a presentation to dietetic students at a local university.
(They have a BSc degree and are now doing two years of dietetics.)  It's a
very practical session and I took along a mother and baby.  Many of the
students had never seen a baby at the breast.  Once baby was latched they
gathered around to observe.  Mother and baby were gazing adoringly into each
others' eyes - a picture of contentment and bliss!

Only afterwards did I tell them that the baby was adopted and that she was
being supplemented at the breast.  The SNS tubing was underneath and the SNS
container was covered by mother's T-shirt.  This mother already has a fairly
good milk supply, but the *best* part for me was when she said that even if
she didn't produce one drop of milk - this is the way she wants to feed her
baby - at the breast.  This is what makes what we do so worthwhile!

Jean Ridler  RN  RM  IBCLC
South Africa   [log in to unmask]

---