Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 08:29:36 EDT
<<
 Any other suggestions???? (I see lots of babies with these "silly habits"
 such as tongue or lip sucking which I explain to the parents as baby's way of
 satisfying its suck needs before birth).

Kathy,

I usually make light of the situation and explain to the parents that since
there's no TV or VCR in utero, babies do what they can for entertainment.
Sometimes, when a baby is particularly insistent on continuing lip sucking
especially, I encourage mom and dad to pattern the baby for a minute or so
prior to latch-on by sucking on parents finger - usually index finger, pad
side up drawn into the baby's mouth about 1 1/2 inches to the juncture of the
hard and soft palates and then since the lips are fully visible, flange
baby's lips so that they become accustomed to how this seal feels.  It
transfers to the breast quite well usually - sort of like a physical check
off list for the  baby.  Hope you find it helpful.

Gretchen Andrews, BA, IBCLC
private practice, Redlands, CA, USA