From:
Philip Barnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 1995 17:59:59 -0500
Judy
How wonderful to have you back on lactnet!
I agree with you about using a quiet place for nursing - but you always
need to review with a mother what this means:  no bright lights, no
radio, TV, music or telephone conversations and quiet from siblings
(ha!)  Any of these can make a baby at this age too distracted to nurse
well.  Is she using a different position during the day vs. at night?
You also mentioned the pacifier - perhaps the baby is beginning to wean
to the pacifier if it is being offered too often.  The other problem that I
have found with younger siblings of busy moms is that the mother resents
the nursing time during the day and is very much in a hurry -- baby senses
this attitude.  By the night the baby is hungry and doesn't let as much
get in the way of what s/he needs.  The LLL material on nursing strikes
discusses the many lifestyle issues that may be involved.  Do you have
them?  Many working mothers, particularly, have told me that the baby
"weaned itself" at this age.  I am fairly sure that it is a result of just
too much going on in everyone's lives - particularly the last few weeks
in Israel.

Sarah Friend Barnett, LLLL, IBCLC
Bronx (New York City), New York