From:
Phyllis Adamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 12:13:11 -0700
I have worked with two Korean moms at my hosp.  The first was a re-admit to
Pediatrics at 5 days of age for jaundice. The Bili count was 21+ as I
remember.  Mom was not comfortable with breastfeeding her baby but did agree
to pump.  She had started out breastfeeding, but chose to feed formula while
he was in the hospital.  She explained that it was a common belief in Korea
that mom's milk is bad for babies with yellow skin - jaundice.  The baby was
not born at my hosp and I have no means for followup after discharge.  I did
provide the medical staff with copies of my resources indicating that Asian
babies normaly have a slightly higher Bili count than Caucasian babies and
that management of jaundice for Asian babies should not necessarily be based
on the protocols for Caucasian babies.  I think they threw it out.

The second baby was born at my hosp.  Baby was in Level III (in part for a
high jaundice level) and I set mom up with a pump.  She started using it
within 8-10 hours of the birth but didn't start producing drops until 36+
hours after birth.  I reviewed her techniques and all seemed to be correct.
The third day, she started filling the gradufeeds half way, and increasing
with each use.  It was mostly golden colostrum.  Baby went home in a week,
mostly breastfeeding.  She did have good family support for breastfeeding so
I had good hopes that she would be able to go to full BFing without
supplements.

Phyllis Adamson, IBCLC