From:
Marianne Vanderveen-Kolkena <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 2010 18:09:27 +0100
Then agaian... if there is insufficient evidence, you can also not say that
they *are* efficacious! :-)
It's difficult indeed, to read research studies really well and draw the
right conclusions.
I agree with Pamela that if you use good bf practices and the problem gets
solved, that is also evidence, empirical evidence.
And if you apply really bad bf practices and the problem worsens... is it
then the AB that help or should we look a bit further and say: "Hey... had
we not caused all these iatrogenic issues, we would not have needed AB at
all and would not have been contributing to AB-resistance on a global scale
by prescribing them unnecessarily."
I think studies can be helpful, but only if we stay alert and don't accept
things simply because X says so, whoever X is.
I've been pretty annoyed again lately, by this attitude: "The higher
authority says so, so it must be true and critics shouldn't be such a pain
in the *** by bringing in different views and question the authority."
Really bad consequences can come from simply believing and following what
someone in a 'higher' position says...

Warmly,

Marianne Vanderveen IBCLC, Netherlands (with four teenage girls who were
taught to question rules, thereby pleasantly forcing mom and dad to be
reasonable and thoughtful and empathetic ;-))