From:
Jena Sallenger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 16:33:11 -0500
Mellanie, one thing that you might try is early pregnancy breastfeeding classes. At the hospital I formerly worked at, we decided that one of the breastfeeding classes that we taught should be an early pregnancy class. Reaching these Moms in early pregnancy, before they are unduly influenced by friends, family and the sledgehammer marketing of the formula companies was our goal. There is a wonderful chapter (chap 8) on breastfeeding education in Breastfeeding and Human Lactation 2nd ed, with recommended topics. You might want to use these topics as an outline for the class to present to administration. I feel your pain in trying to provide lactation services in a hospital that is decidedly non-baby friendly. I hung in for a year, but was finally driven out by administration that undermined me in every conceivable way. That and fighting the nursery finally got to me. Now I am teaching nursing students in their OB rotation, and I tell them - "when you leave me, you will know more about breastfeeding and lactation then you ever wanted to know". I hope I will be sending out graduate nurses who can spread the word and educate others. I am in awe of those who hang in there, and feel a little guilty that I didn't have what it took. I was so afraid of being fired, and I have a few years before retirement....I still miss my lovely ladies and their lucky babies.
Good luck on the exam!

Jena Sallenger RN MSN
Florence SC