From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 16:21:37 +0100
I am only familiar with the WHO/Unicef criteria for Baby-Friendly
certification, which may not be the same as those used in the US, since I
understand that Baby-Friendly evaluations, in contrast to the rest of the
world, are not carried out by the health authorities, but by a privately
owned entity.
There is absolutely nothing in the BFHI package, as WHO and Unicef developed
it, where the number of mothers per room is even mentioned.  Not even in the
delivery rooms, actually.
BFHI has to do with breastfeeding knowledge, advice and routines in the
institution being evaluated.
There is a requirement that the assessors be women, because in many parts of
the world it would be unacceptable for men to go into the post partum wards
and interview mothers when the interview contains such items as 'show me how
you have been taught to put the baby to breast'.
There is also a requirement that the people evaluating a hospital not be
employed there, for reasons I assume are obvious.

Rachel Myr  (BFHI assessor in Norway)
Kristiansand, Norway