From:
Fiona Dionne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 17:05:18 -0700
Bonjour Françoise.  :-)

> Avent bottle and teats tackages showing mothers and fathers bottle feeding
> babies. Make comparisons with mother breast, and discourage breastfeeding
> (Just like mother breast - Your baby natural feeding companion up to 36
> months - Medically proven to reduce colic in the newborn)

I think part of the problem is that we here in North America don't
actually see a lot of Avent products around (yet).  Being that they are
made in Europe (in the UK I believe?) I think that is where they
saturated the market first.  While I have seen a few "bottle ads" in
French magazines like Familli, most Avent ads I see here are for the
pump only.  It's true that often they do say their teat is "as close to
the human nipple as possible" which is true of most bottle
companies...and lots of bottle companies are now trying to imitate Avent
teats (including, but not necessarily limited to:  Gerber, Playtex,
Heinz, Evenflo...and no, I have no financial interest in any of these
companies).  I think it is the "newest thing on the market" so to speak,
so everyone thinks it's very very chic.  ;-)

Given that most of their ads I see here are for pumps, not the actual
bottles (even if the ad might perhaps say that it includs a teat that
reduces colic and is as close to mom as possible) I think that is not
really a violation of the code directly perhaps, which is why most of us
in North America won't have seen them as code violators so far.

There must be an Avent site in the UK.  www.aventbaby.co.uk perhaps (not
sure at all here)...maybe it has more ads on it for the "bottle" part of
it than the pump.

Fio (an Avent owner...but not an Avent SHAREholder...i.e. no interest in
Avent company's business dealings.  ;-))
ressource person with Allaitement Québec