Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 2010 14:00:12 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
As both a diabetes educator and lactation consultant, I ran into an interesting situation this morning.  I have the parents' permission to post.  The newborn (12-24 hours of age) of a first-time mom via C-section, breastfeeding very well, multiple times in first 12 hours, was jittery and had blood glucose of 38 mg/dl.  Baby was given to mom to breastfeed and BG rechecked in about 1 hour.  BG only at 39 mg/dl so baby was given formula.  BG continued to be between 40 and 55 mg/dl for next several hours.  Baby continued to breastfeed and symptoms were no longer present about 6 hours later and BG monitoring was stopped.  Mom was noted to have very concentrated urine, lost about 700 cc during delivery.  She did not have abnormal BG's during pregnancy, but reports she has difficulty with reactive hypoglycemia.  My questions are what is the carbohydrate content of colostrum; was the volume of colostrum compromised by the mother's state of dehydration?

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2