From:
Donald Hagreen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jan 1997 14:46:00 PST
I am coming out of "lurk" mode to ask for help.

My client has an 11 month old baby currently breastfeeding three times a
day.  Last month and again this month, mom developed plugged milk ducts a
little after midcycle.  Baby feeds in the cradle hold or lying down
position.  Last month, the plug was in the right breast at the 4 o'clock
position, this month it is in the left breast at the 12 o'clock position.
The baby feeds well and drains the breast within 10 minutes.  Mom is unable
to express any milk if she tries to pump after feeds.  Warm compresses help
the breast feel more comfortable, but the milk behind the plug doesn't
release.  Last month, she took a 3 day course of erythromycin (unsure why
physician did not prescribe longer therapy) and this month has just been
started on a 7 day course.  She would prefer not to use antibiotics if possible.

TIA!

Even though I read the postings faithfully, I still find that before I can
write about problems, someone else has written about them.  This is not a
complaint, just an explanation why I remain most in "lurk" mode.  This is a
wonderful contact.  Without it, I would feel like "one LC in the wilderness".

Jeanne Hagreen, RN, IBCLC
The Mosquito Farm & Lost Moose Preserve
Salmon Valley, BC, Canada
(20 km. north of Prince George)
Don Hagreen &
Jeanne Hagreen RN, IBCLC
The Mosquito Farm & Lost Moose Preserve,
Salmon Valley, B.C.
(20km N of Prince George)