From:
K & S Woods-Eliot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 15:24:46 -0800
Century Offers Cash Reward for Recalled Infant Swings
Four strangulation deaths reported

WASHINGTON, D.C. - In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety
Commission (CPSC) Century Products Co., of Macedonia, Ohio, is offering
a $30 cash reward for the repair of each Lil' Napper infant swing. These
swings were recalled in 1997 following reports of three deaths and one near
strangulation from entanglement in the swings' shoulder harness
straps. CPSC and
Century have since become aware of a fourth death to an 8-month old
infant girl in
Texas.

-------

This is from a press release --

Perhaps they could recommend that babies under two "never" be allowed
to sleep in a swing?!?

Ok, sarcasm aside, I do think that if swings have the potential to be
this dangerous, parents should be made aware of this and "safe swing
use" should be discussed.

I personally have never used a swing and don't really support their
use, but I hope I can remain rational in the face of statistics and
not support a complete ban on them if they are somehow "safe enough."

Katherine Woods-Eliot
Nursing Mothers Counselor, birth ed teacher, homebirth midwife
apprentice, parent, etc.

We live in a convenience society...we want convenient food,
convenient entertainment, convenient education and convenient
relationships.  Let's face it--children are not convenient, but many
parents spend exorbitant amounts of time and energy trying to make
them *be* convenient to better fit the expected societal mold.
                        -Rebecca DeYoung Daniels, MBA, RD, LD, LLLL

Katherine, Scot, Torin, and Paxton Woods-Eliot
Portland, Oregon, USA; mailto:[log in to unmask]