From:
The Mullers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 07:34:50 -0400
To Mary,

This 36 week old macrosomic baby is still just 36 weeks old. An
d 36 weekers can't always be trusted to feed as they should. Has mother
considered pumping after feeding and adding that to baby's diet? It may
be some of the fatter milk. That has aided many moms going home feeding
their premies. These babies don't always have the staying power that
termers do, and when it stops flowing fast, they lose interest.
Also, about the rapid weight loss from birth weight. Diabetic progeny
hold tons of fluid at birth. This results in a rapid and large weight
loss early on. Remember it isn't "baby" he's losing, but fluid. It is as
if birth is a diuretic for these big little ones.
Hope this helps,
Cheryl Muller RNC IBCLC

From:    Mary Grant <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: macrosomia and regaining birtweight

Searching again for wisdom from lactnetters please.

We are dealing with an infant of a diabetic mother
who was delivered at just under 36 weeks, weighing
10lb 14oz. There was some initial separation while
baby's blood glucose was stabilised with formula.
The baby has remained a sleepy, slow feeder at the
breast since discharge. Mums supply is not an issue.
Nor is there a milk transfer problem.
Just baby's appetite is "the problem".
There was a large weight loss.
Our question is "Is regaining birthweight a relevant
goal here?" My instinct is that this baby girl is
adjusting to her genetic potential, rather than her supercharged
intrauterine hot house growth. There is about 4oz growth per week at
last - at her 3rd week of age. She may reach 10lb by her expected date
of delivery. Plentiful urine, not so plentiful but yellow poo. Very
settled. Mum is very cooperative. Are we neglectful?