Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 12:02:03 -0600
>For those older Lactnetters whose kids are grown, how does it feel to sleep
>8 uninterrupted hours a night?

What!!! Am I, at my age, supposed to sleep 8 uninterrupted hours a night?

I have what I call "holes" in my night.  2-3 hours during which I am AWAKE
for unknown reasons. Or I will go to bed very tired, awake after an hour of
sleep and then find that I can't fall back to sleep for a long time.

Jean Shinoda Bolen, a Jungian psychologist, says that those wake times in
the quiet of night are times for creativity. Perhaps a poem capsulizing
your life, journalling to resolve a dilemma, meditation for guidance, or
designing your home layout for best relaxation. I've even been known to
clear out a drawer, though I don't recommend that, as it is not very
creative and it can last much longer than you'd want it to.

Anyway, I don't worry about it.  I learned with my babies that I sleep when
I sleep and if I worry that I'm *not* sleeping I will be less rested the
next day. I get more sleep and more satisfying sleep if I just take it as
it comes.

I think that we have discussed this before on Lactnet and it was clear that
uninterrupted nights of sleep are not a guarantee for humans in
relationship.  Perhaps hermits (in a very safe setting) could expect this
kind of sleep. Kathy D pointed out that for most of human history it
wouldn't even be safe to have everone sleeping through the night.

We don't do families with children any favors when we reinforce the
expectation that they will sometime soon sleep throughout the night without
interruption on a regular basis. It makes it sound as if what they have now
is a big problem. We probably don't do older people any favors in this
regard either.

I have suspected that the American obsession with sound, extended sleep is
a carryover from learnings when they were infants and small children-- when
they were GOOD babies/children if they slept long without interrupting
anyone. The goal of life was to sleep.  Then they have their own babies and
are expected to suddenly let go of that goal at which they had become so
competent.

I'm rattling on, but I don't think that most people who live in families
sleep 8 hours with any regularity. There is always some Real Life going on
that calls us.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Mailto:[log in to unmask]