Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Apr 2012 14:18:48 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
Hi all,While I totally accept that reducing dairy can help with symptoms of oversupply and that this may well be because the undigested dairy is irritating babies gut what about the affect of the calcium in the dairy?  According to Hilary Jacobson in 'Motherfood' calcium is a galactagogue.  She does not suggest dairy as a galactagogue but I have wondered is at least part of the reason that oversupply calms with reducing dairy due to reducing calcium?  Conversely would increasing dairy in mums that could tolerate it improve milk supply?  Or are other foods that contain a good amount of calcium safer in terms of allergy?  What about the mum who is supplementing with formula and is struggling to increase her milk supply is it appropriate to suggest increasing her dairy intake?
Also what is our position as lactation consultants with no special training in herbalism re recommending herbs for either over or under supply?  Are we prescribing when we recommend herbs?  I would also love to know of herbalists in the UK who can help breastfeeding women.  Too many alternative practitioners locally haven't a clue about breastfeeding.
Many thanks in advance.  This is the only place I know where I can ask the above questions.Best wishes,Sarah McCann. BScHons, IBCLCwww.BreastfeedingResourcesNI.co.uk 		 	   		  

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2