From:
Judy Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 May 1997 14:14:10 -0400
Anne, Thanks for responding. I should clarify a few things - the strategies
for the gentle handling of nursing strikes, and how to differentiate them
from premature weaning ( which I said would be most babies under 2 years
old!) is covered in the text that I already wrote for the magazine. The
questions they asked me to get a pedi quote for are those that you saw. Yes
they are stupid, and the woman even said "we know you're the nursing expert
but we always like to have an MD in there somewhere" I have no problem with
complying with this if it gets good information out to moms who otherwise
won't see it in this type of mainstream publication. Also I figured there has
got to be a pedi out there who would say something like, "although ear
infections are less likely to occur in  BF babies, if they do happen handling
the strike properly is critical so this baby has its best shot at preventing
 or minimizing future infections.""  "loss of the nursing relationship could
have longterm health consequences "blah blah- you now what I mean. This is an
opportunity to describe 2 years as a normal nursing minimum in the context of
defining nursing strikes.! I am working hard within the limits they set for
me, to make this something other than a peice we would all have to write in
and lambast (sp?) .I have again failed cyberspatially speaking, to download
 2 recent lactnets successfully. I had to access Anne's comments via archives
- thank goodness for subject lines - so if any MDs are willing to be quoted
on these (silly) questions, please post again or to me privately.
     It is not easy working with these limitations but it's better than
leaving it up to the London Timesesque "experts" in the field. Thanks in
advance, Judy Fram, Brooklyn, NY    [log in to unmask]