From:
NicoLLLa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jun 2011 07:07:42 -0300
Pat, you stated:

"I believe IBCLCs are health professionals.  They are a part of the health
care team, have passed certification exams, keep up with what's new and
happening to improve BF outcomes.  I agree that an LC is different from a
LLLL and/or a peer counselor.  The difference is the same as in any field,
with   more experience and education you advance."

While I agree with most of this statement, I have to disagree with the final sentence.  I could give you the names of many Leaders who are "LLLifers" who have chosen to  "only" be a Leader--not sit the exam for one reason or another.  That doesn't mean that they do not have the experience or education necessary to become IBCLCs should they want to, they just don't have the desire.  Or, as in my case, living in rural Nova Scotia, Canada, they do not see a potential for private practice so the dollars needed to sit the exam and maintain certification just don't make sense (without an RN, I do not see potential for hospital work either).  Suggesting that the difference between LCs and Leaders is just a matter of experience/education does an injustice to both.  Both have an important role in supporting mothers through the breastfeeding experience and we need to recognize each others strengths while we work together helping them.

Nicola Aquino
LLLL for 13 years, as of today