Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 19:55:55 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (7 lines)
Dear Friends,
the Ross rep did his presentation for our practitioners and docs last Thursday.  Thanks to Dr. Jack and all who replied so promptly!!  The "secret" ingredient was indeed nucleotides.  I was comparing their list of nuc's with the list in R. Lawrence's book - no comparison, not to mention the bazillion other elements in human milk which cannot be replicated. Our dietician was not impressed that the total protein content has not changed - she says that needed to decrease when the nuc's were added.  I think she was also wanting more vit. E in there. By the way, our dietician is going to Oklahoma in June to become a CBE!!  She is already pro BF, but this will help even more!  I don't think our Chief of Neonatology was very impressed with the new Ross stuff.  I know that there will always be some women who will formula feed, no matter what is good for their baby, so I guess the formula companies can at least try to come up with something that is "closer" to human milk.  
The 6 month old infant who has been in the accident and has brain injury - I told you about him last week - he had latched on and fed well, but we were going to have to work on mom's non-existant milk supply.  I went back the next day with an SNS and mom informed me that she cannot stand the stress and just wants to quit trying.  Well, after our success the previous day, I was so discouraged and disappointed for her and for her baby!  He had been smiling at the breast and vocalizing more than normal.  I did let her know that if she changed her mind again I would be glad to assist her.  I also told her that she could let him suckle at breast "just for fun" if they both desired.  She stated that she would give him a pacifier if he wanted to suck.  Oh well...  defeat after victory...
Our manager and Chief negotiated with the formula company to continue providing water bottles for storage of milk.  We had stopped providing bottles and the moms have not been happy - all kinds of complaints!!  Now the formula company will supply 500 cases per year free of charge (we were paying about 29 cents apiece).  This is a victory for the parents and one less headache for me!! I know many of you voiced your displeasure at this expense and inconvenience for the parents, so I wanted to let you know that it has been resolved through much complaining (nicely) and reporting what dissatisfied parents are telling me.
Dani Hudspeth BSN, RN, IBCLC
Dallas, TX

ATOM RSS1 RSS2