From:
Linda Cairns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 1996 15:58:18 -0500
Date:    Sat, 30 Mar 1996 22:15:47 -0500
From:    "Kathleen G. Auerbach" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: The comet's tail

To all of you in the Northern Hemisphere, particularly in northern areas:
Have you seen that fantastic comet?  One of the joys of walking a dog
several times a day is my opportunity to enjoy the solitude that comes with
darkness and the quiet of late evening hours.

>Last night, I chanced to look upward and spied what I first thought was a
>contrail....
>How many of the rest of you saw it?

>Am looking forward to walking again tonight in hopes of seeing it again--if
>the clouds have not obscured the sky....

My partner and I went out into the garden on Thursday night, to look at the
comet Hyakutake, and felt awed by the sight. It was visible as a bright smudge
between Cassiopaeia (the W shaped constellation) and the Polaris, the pole star.
We then started looking at the NASA website http://www.nasa.gov and followed the
links to find various charts to show where to look for it in the coming days. It
is moving away from polaris, and down to the left of Cassiopaeia.

I hope you continue to enjoy the sight!
--
Linda Cairns
Tilehurst, Berkshire, UK - Mum to Jonathan (9), Stephen (7), and Nicky (6)