Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 10:38:44 -0400
I have searched the archives, but the number of hits for skin-to-skin are numerous, and more specific limitations in my search failed to find any hits...

I teach prenatal and have a physician who is looking for the reference for physiological outcomes of immediate, uninterrupted skin-to-skin in the full-term newborn (impact on heart rate, respiratory rate, temperature, cortisol levels as an indicator of stress, impact on breastfeeding, etc).  She was asking me questions I could not answer when we covered this, such as how long were the newborns removed from their mothers for it to impact the physiological outcomes?

If anyone has a reference, or references, handy, could you please share it with me.  I did do a search using a medical search engine and found numerous citations, the 'best' one being from 1999 (this one covered many physiological parameters, not just one for example).  I believe from conferences I have recently attended (in the past couple of years) that there are more recent findings that come to similar conclusions.

I am going to check my conference handouts also, but it would be helpful if you have anything readily available.

Leslie Ashton, RN, BSc
Ottawa, Canada

[Influence of immediate newborn care on infant adaptation to the environment]

Mazurek T, Mikiel-Kostyra K, Mazur J, Wieczorek P, Radwanska B, Pachuta-Wegier L.

Med Wieku Rozwoj. 1999 Apr-Jun;3(2):215-24.

[Article in Polish]

Oddzial Polozniczo-Ginekologiczny Wojewódzki Szpital Specjalistyczny im. Stefana Kardynala Wyszynskiego w Lublinie.

The indicators of newborns' adaptation during 75 min after birth were compared in three randomised groups of full-term newborns: skin-to-skin contact (group I), swaddled newborns beside the mother (group II), swaddled and separated from the mother (group III). The changes in skin temperature, blood glucose, pH, heart rate, respiration rate and crying time were studied. All the above characteristics but pH were significantly the most favourable for infants in the skin-to-skin group. The analysis of individual trends of changes in skin temperature indicated that for all but two newborns not separated from the mother (skin-to-skin or lying besides) the temperature was growing during the observation period, whereas in the separated group, six newborns (27%) had unstable not growing temperature. The mean level of blood glucose was the highest in skin-to-skin group (60.1 mg/dl), lower in group of swaddled and lying beside mother (52.5 mg/dl) and the lowest (49.6 mg/dl) in the separated group. The mean duration of crying time in the skin-to-skin contact was a little shorter than in the group of newborns lying besides the mother and more than three times shorter than in the separated group. The observed number of episodes of crying were 7, 17 and 38 in the three groups respectively. All results indicated that skin-to-skin contact is optimal for newborns', adaptation after birth especially as a protection against hypothermia and hypoglycaemia.