From:
B & D Zucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 21:38:31 -0500
I have a very interesting Lanolin story.

My daughter has a 2 month old baby.  She is friendly with a group of women from her childbirth class who all are our ideal clients.... really wanting to breastfeed, all hoping for natural births, rooming in, etc.   Well, she came home from her childbirth class reunion and told me that she saw her very first non-breastfed baby poop ("ick" was the term she used,  or maybe "gross").  The mom of this non-breastfed baby was just as determined as any of them to breastfeed, but when she gave birth she was told to apply one of the well known lanolin creams to her nipples after every feeding.  By the way, my daughter was told the same thing.  Anyway, her friend did so even as her nipples got more and more sore, eventually peeling and cracking into a bloody mess.  The more lanolin she used the more sore she got, until she no longer could stand to feed or even to pump.  Then she realized that her fingers were also peeling and sore.   It turns out that she had a nasty reaction to the cream, but by the time she realized, her milk supply was shot and the baby would no longer take the breast.  So she was formula feeding.  She had no history of allergy to lanolin, or to wool.

I thought this story was important enought to share with all of you.

And, on a personal note, helping my daughter breastfeed my grandson has been one of the most incredible experiences of my life.  I feel like all that has gone on before was training for that important moment.  She had a very difficult birth and he was a very reluctant nurser.  So I got to really use all my skills to help her.   It was, and is, the very best part of my life.  Who else would understand this better than all of you??

Barbara Leshin-Zucker, IBCLC
Breastfeeding Coordinator
Morrisania WIC Program
Bronx, NY