From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 20:00:22 -0400
Give mom  option,  tell her you'll check back with her, give her a little
time to think.  I always found that they did feel like they "were doing
something" at a time when everything is out of their hands and this is
comforting.  Sometimes the babies die, but I never had a mom with any major
problems of "pumping down" or they simply stop pumping.  Sometimes the
shock of it all seems to  help  mother  nature dry mom up. And yes the pp
staff nurses use to  harass me for approaching the mom, but I did anyway.
Sincerely, Pat in SNJ ( who  has also taken pumps into moms in ICU and
helped mom pump or showed dad how to do it until she and baby could be
reunited. They thought I was crazy in there too! The attitude was we have
more important things to deal with than this, and I'd insist this is
important to  mom and when she is better she will thank us.  And moms did.)