From:
Nina Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Mar 2009 12:13:45 +1100
Hi Jan
The question I posed is a question.  It is designed to help clarify what is
we are trying to ascertain by discussing this issue at length.  (Because
there seems to be some confusion about which issues bear.)
By 'commercial relationships' I was not referring to simple purchase
transactions but more complex contractual relationships involving clinicians
in promotional activities - and possibly those which offer incentives for
unethical promotion.  (I don't think there would be a problem stocking or
selling infant feeding products (even if the manufacturers are
code-violators) so long as the practices of the retailer are not in
violation of the Code.)  Selling products that fall within the Scope of the
Code is not a violation of the Code.  Participating in marketing activities
that fall within the Scope of the Code is.  (That would include distributing
or displaying manufacturers' promotional materials; dispensing free samples;
participating in or conducting sponsored 'educational' seminars and the
like.)  So while I think those of you in the positions you describe could
well find yourselves with an ethical dilemma on your hands, a simple refusal
to participate in marketing activities might offer a solution.  Simply
informing mothers that your institution is handsomely paid for distributing
samples and outlining the risks associated with their use might be another
way forward.)
Rachel's description of the way she as a clinician interacts with Code
Violating companies is more articulate on this than I could be.
I am in a different position from most on the list in that I am primarily a
researcher.  So this bites for me here.  I would not, no way, not now, not
any time, not ever, accept research funding or sponsorship from a Code
Violating company.  It would be unethical for me to do so.  (It would also
be a perversion of my knowledge and skills to allow them to be used as a
marketing tool.)  On a practical level, no amount of hours spent helping or
supporting individual mothers could possibly undo the damage that would be
done by conducting or publishing research in the name of a code violator.
Nina Berry
Australia