Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Aug 2011 15:19:06 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (35 lines)
Kudos, Jackie Nutt. 

At times during the last 25+ years I have by turns felt "superior", "lucky", "guilty" and often "humbled" as an RN-IBCLC. I have learned so much by socialization as well as work alongside my LLL-IBCLC compatriots!! (Not to mention how much I have learned about what not to do from my own kids, kids-in-law and grandkids!) But my experiences as a maternity RN contributed so much to my formation as an LC, that at times, I felt as if I had had an unfair advantage!

So many comments in this discussion ring true. There are many "seasons and styles of motherhood" and there are a lot of credentialed HCP's who are not necessarily empathetic to any way of parenting other than that with which they are familiar. For instance, the current discussion on counseling skills is a "very pregnant topic."

I had gotten the impression that the 2012 requirements etc. were cast in stone already, and, being already certified, felt somewhat "insulated", and able to "lay low" in any discussion. But I begin to perceive that as intended, it will really ultimately change the whole profession. 

But on how many levels, and what levels, and will the changes be the ones most helpful for mothers and babies?? Should the goal be perhaps as much to inject more of the practical into the medicalization rather than medicalization into the practical where "the rubber meets the road"? 

Is it premature to cast such rigid future educational requirements in stone at this point in time??? Should the advisory and governing boards of IBLCE be much more international in its make-up before the concrete is poured??? 

My conscience and the ardor of these posts have me wondering what my role, if any, should be in this controversy,

K. Jean Cotterman RNC-E, IBCLC
WIC Volunteer LC, Dayton OH USA 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2