Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 10:47:37 EST
In a message dated 00-03-26 10:23:37 EST, Jean writes:

<<  How can we make our
 teaching more meaningful and clear up the misunderstanding and many myths
 that surround breastfeeding?  How can we achieve the change in attitude that
 is maybe needed before changes in practice can occur? >>

One of the tools I use in sharing breastfeeding information with both parents
and HCP's is to remind them that breastfeeding has been around as long as
people have been, and that it has been proven to be a very effective strategy
for survival of our species.  (Should've gone into anthro...)  That tends to
change their perspective, at least for the moment.  You don't have to be a
genius to have a successful breastfeeding relationship.
 In fact, anecdotally, I would note that the more medical information parents
might have can work contrary to the fostering of a good breastfeeding
relationship because they tend to go that route instead of trusting their
intuition, following baby's cue etc.  I try to tell parents especially that
if they just pay attention, their baby will  teach them just how s/he needs
to be parented.  That may be vastly different than a sibling since each baby
is unique.  Trying to get that point across about respecting individual
differences in babies and watching the baby's cues not clocks, not books, not
articles, not well-meaning advice from quasi-informed sources etc. can be
difficult, but well worth the effort.

Gretchen Andrews, BA, IBCLC
private practice,  Redlands, CA USA