From:
Patricia Gima <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 1997 21:47:27 -0500
I was headed to the computer to write a post on heavy metals in breastmilk
when I saw that those amazing Lactnetters had read my mind and were already
talking about them.

The mom that I talked to today was concerned about the amalgam fillings in
her teeth releasing metals that would get into her milk. What are those made
of?  Mercury comes to mind. I read about mercury in Hale and it was dire,
but that was with high blood levels in the mother.

She is going to ask what the fillings are made of and get back to me.  I'll
bet there is someone on Lactnet who knows.

I assured her that whatever was in her milk was less hazardous than whatever
alternative might be considered.  I also suggested that she work to
eliminate any other sources of metals, that we do what we can, knowing that
our environment carries a lot of toxins. She hadn't planned to not
breastfeed the baby she is carrying--her fourth--but was distressed by the
possibility of harm.

Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee
mailto:[log in to unmask]