From:
Elizabeth Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jul 2012 06:10:35 -0400
Laurie asks us, as we in the USA move forward with implementing the ACA
("health care reform"), to "Remember this is new territory and the
insurance companies and others may need education."

Huge fist pump to that.

We IBCLCs have a huge opportunity, here, to be at the table with the
regulators and insurance companies.  Huge segments of our healthcare
"machinery" were at a virtual standstill while the U. S. Supreme Court
deliberated the law ... but now that we know it is constitutional (whoo
hoo!) and several sections of the law become effective within a matter of
weeks or months, everyone is *scrambling* to figure it out.

Please please please please: if you have a shred of interest in this stuff,
join your state breastfeeding coalition, or join USLCA's advocacy and
reimbursement committee.  Heck -- just pick up the phone and call your
hospital's coding dept, and tell them you think you can help them figure
out how to define these new elements, since the IBCLC is the globally
recognized professional authority in lactation.

--
Liz Brooks JD IBCLC FILCA
Wyndmoor, PA, USA