From:
Jenny South <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 11:36:11 -0400
Just a couple of thoughts on Tricia and her patient (mom on colace, babe
with slow wt gain, etc)

*I can relate to this mom on a couple different levels: I never became
engorged when I had my son, I've to this day never felt a let down, and
I've never been able to pump more than 2 ounces (even with an electric,
hospital grade pump). My son is 13 months old and 23# so somewhere along
the way he got some milk :o)He is still nursing strong, by the way!!
*I've never heard of Colace causing probs in babies. If anything, it would
make their stools softer (hard to believe a bf baby's stool could get
softer!).
*I'd encourage this mom to feed every 2-3 hours around the clock. I'd
suggest a "babymoon"---put mom and baby to bed for nothing but nursing and
sleeping. This will accomplish several things: it will ensure mother gets
adequate rest, and it will assuredly boost her supply with the frequent
nursing! Make sure mom eats good healthy foods and snacks, and drinks
plenty of fluids :o)

Just a couple of thoughts :o)
Jenny South, RN