From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2009 14:01:47 -0500
Dear all:

Ferber recanted publically in an Upper Wide Side local paper on bed sharing and cosleeping.
Then he slightly recycled his old approach as revised.  I can't help myself.  I just always say
flat out "he recanted" and also that I never knew a single long-term "success" story using
his approach.  As important as supply is trying to find out how the babies are being fed.  I
am dead certain that there are a subset of breastmilk fed infants who have been trained
into ignoring their own hunger and satiety cues because a couple of books recommend
feeding 3- 6 month old infants only 4x/day.

I always put the time spent doing anything for an infant, whether it is pumping, feeding the
baby, or holding the baby into homework equivalency units.  Some mothers try to get away
with less time with their babies than I spend assisting my son to create a proper
environment for doing his homework   By "creating the environment" it means that he's
supposed to do his homework, not me, but I can actively assist him to create the
environment for it to happen.  A few years ago he did need much more active assistance
with the work itself.

Best, Susan