From:
"Linda J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 10:38:14 -0500
Hi all,

In the middle of a nasty spring snowstorm yesterday, a grandma called to
rent a pump for her daughter whose baby is 2 weeks old. Seems breastfeeding
was going fine until the mom got a shot of depo-provera for birth control
the day before, then her milk supply plummeted. (She was pumping several
times a day for some reason). The provider had warned the mom that
"sometimes milk supply may be affected" but gave her the shot anyway. The
mom is 17, living with grandma, boyfriend/ father of baby is happy she's
breastfeeding and very supportive.

To quote Dr. Jack, ARGHHHHH!  Did anyone think to mention LAM to this
mother? Or at least wait another few weeks? Or even ask if they were having
sex? Sheesh.

THIS is why I keep teaching, preaching, and occasionally ranting. As a song
says, "another one bites the dust."  Sigh.

p.s. my daffodils survived the snow, but my son's car did not survive its
argument with a rural guard rail. He's bruised but OK, thanks to his seat
belt.

Linda J. Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC
Bright Future Lactation Resource Centre
Dayton, OH USA