From:
francisfam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 20:19:45 -0700
Hi, all,
I have a friend with a new baby in San Angelo Texas on the military base there.   Nearest large city is San Antonio. She has a history of leukemia which nearly killed her but she is fine now and has had her second baby (after all the chemo).  The baby was born late summer and by October she had breast and nipple pain and the baby had thrush.  The doctor said she had "mastitis" and he couldn't do anything about it.  Another few weeks went by and by now she was in major pain (the worst being 20 minutes after nursing, and in the middle of the night)  The doctor treated her with Keflex.  The ped treated the baby with Nystatin.  Keflex didn't help - it got worse (DUH!)  So she was given Dynapen.  Didn't touch it (Surprise!)  The baby's yeast was very resistant but at this point is no longer visible.

She saw a surgeon yesterday who wants to put her on Cipro, but said she should not nurse if she is on Cipro.  Ye Gads!  What she needs is some Diflucan!!! ....anybody else agree?  I suggested all the OTC things I know, but that won't touch it if she has candidosis of the ducts.

Problem is, she really needs a knowledgeable advocate where she lives and somebody who can actually look at the problem and get a decent history. ...Somebody with a good relationship with the medical community.  I am willing to fax all the info I have on this problem, but it would sure be better if there is someone near her that I could refer her to.

WHO?!!  Anybody near San Angelo in Texas who is an IBCLC (preferably with a medical degree)  My book of IBCLC's is at the hospital and I am home.  If anybody has their book, please look up the IBCLC's near and email me privately with some names.  ASAP.  She is now bleeding when she pumps.

Thanks in advance.
Deanne