From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 15:48:56 -0400
Well, I'm a C/Kathy too, and I also don't have breast cancer, at least right
now; I know this because I just had my mammogram. I was a big non-believer
in routine screening mammograms for women under 50 or so, figuring it was
another scam to drag a lot of women in to expensive & unnecessary testing,
till my friend & boss, who at 43 or so (younger than I am, and a fervid
long-term breastfeeder) was diagnosed & went through the whole
chemo-radiation scenario. Anyway, now I do it.

I think that it would be an excellent thing if BFing activists (well, that
would be us lactivists, wouldn't it?) and the breast CA people, who seem to
be relatively well-funded these days (relative to lactation concerns,
anyway, though not perhaps to the total need), could band together more on
issues of "breast health". Not just the "breastfeeding decreases risk of br.
CA" aspect, as I'm not totally comfortable with  the way those numbers are
sometimes played with to come up with sweeping but not entirely accurate
statements,  but in a broader sense.  In the simplest sense, both areas of
concern deal with breasts, and with issues of health r/t the breast & its
functions; both are specific to women's health but not limited to women in
their longer-term impact. Professionals in both fields know more than the
average bear about breasts and how they work and how they affect and are
affected by other aspects of health and physiological function. And breast
health issues are "hot" right now - lots of attention and, as I said, more
funding.

Seems to me we could work together. Anybody live/work in a place where the
Breast Cancer Alliance-type agency is affiliated with the Breastfeeding
Coalition folks? I know of at least 3 former WIC Breastfeeding Coordinators
who moved (for better pay) into jobs with breast cancer awareness/prevention
organizations when WIC funding went down & cancer funding went up.

CathyBargar RN IBCLC Ithaca NY
Congratulations and "welcome!" to all the newly-lettered IBCLCs!