From:
Aileen Emerling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 12:59:28 +0900
Hi all,

I was mulling on this...
We each try and make the best decisions that we can, and hope that
others will respect those decisions, even if they do not agree with
them. And we know that there may be other dynamics that lead us to our
decisions. Additional information might give us a different view if we
saw other parts of the picture.

I hope, as we are caring and dedicated professionals, that when we have
concerns about choices a colleague has made, we bring those questions to
light in a manner that reflects respect for one another, as well as
ultimately trying to work together to do more for our profession. That's
how we can achieve collaboration and team building.

I think if we have concerns we need to share them. But in sharing them,
I feel it is important to do so in a way which keeps the focus on
working towards common breastfeeding goals in our profession.

I am not saying that Dr Meeks's decision is right or wrong. I respect
that she has reasons for making it. And I realize that I have concerns
about it. I just really believe that to understand better why the
decision was made, as well as have my own concerns "heard", open
attentive and respectful communication is needed.

Just my thoughts this rainy afternoon.

With kindest regards,
Aileen Emerling, IBCLC
Tokyo, Japan