From:
pat stranger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jun 2000 16:56:50 -0700
I have found it very helpful to mothers who are have very sore nipples to have them rotate positions at a feeding so that they are not always putting the main pressure on the same areas of the breast at each feeding ,I have found that if a mother can do the cross cradle hold which helps give her control of the babies head movement toward the breast she can also do the football hold just as easily so they dont feel overwhelmed at learning another position.Sometimes we dont give mothers enough credit for what they are able to do.Though I have to admit I have never tried teaching them half a dozen positions at the same or any time I know that would confuse me.I agree if you get the position correct you aren't going to be doing the same kind of damage on the nipple but it is like having a sore area on your heel just putting on a different shoe isn't going to ease it totally .sometimes we will go barefoot .pad the area or walk a bit differently to ease the pressure so I guess I just dont see it as twaddle.
I do find some babies take a while to get their tongue coordination at first in a feeding so some irritation can occur on the nipple until they get the movement refined irregardless of how well they are positioned.
It has been an interesting conversation re the cross cradle hold.
Pat in MD