Date:
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 10:25:07 +0100
Flaxseed oil is very prone to rancidity so should be handled extremely
carefully.  The seeds themselves are a well-known laxative in folk tradition
and their popularity in bread and mueslis stems in no small part from that.
I'm not at home and I don't have my bread book with me at school but I noticed
the author frowns on people who 'relinquish full responsibility for their
digestion' to flax seeds.  According to her, they act by causing a mild
inflammation of the gut, and if that is so, I would not give them to a baby
and I might hesitate to give the oil directly to a baby as well.  I don't know
whether it really is the case, but judging by the, er, 'remarkable' effect on
my own gut I'm inclined to believe it.

So, I'll just once again plug pharmaceutical grade Norwegian cod liver oil as
a good, reasonable source of essential fatty acids.  Obviously the vegetarian
mother will have to look elsewhere, but for the rest of us it is a good, cheap
and actually not bad-tasting source.  The brands on the market here are
certified free of fat-soluble environmental toxins.  Eating cod liver from
caught fish, or eating fatty fish as a source of these EFAs does expose one to
dioxins and PCBs in a greater degree than is advisable for women of
reproductive age and for children.  I take a spoonful of cod liver oil every
morning, even here in Sweden, where the locals think I am out of my mind.  Who
says there are no important cultural differences between Norway and Sweden?
Rachel Myr
who has no economic interest in cod liver oil, and never mind that most of the
Norwegians at my school are equally put off by the idea of willingly taking it
by the spoonful!