From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2008 20:34:06 -0500
Dear all:

I'm not sure that I made the statistics from UNICEF clear, so I will try again.

1) The estimated number of deaths from not breastfeeding are one million a year among
those under one.  Most of these are fed from bottles.

2) UNICEF statistics on deaths from violence would include deaths from guns.  Deaths
from violence among a wide age range of 18 years is less than the deaths from not
breastfeeding under one.

3) I'd need to do some calculations with an age distribution chart because infants and
children die at a higher rate than older children, but erring on the side of ultra
conservative --- I still think no one could argue that the proportion of under one year olds
in the group of under is greater than half of the total.  So, if you only included one year
olds in the death statistics you would have at least half as many deaths.  (And probably
under one year olds would be less likely to be shot with a gun than older children and
adolescents so that would further drop the number)

4) Deaths from "other forms of violence" which would include gun deaths are only 4%  of
the deaths from violence.

Even with a wide margin erring in favor of guns and even if you attributed all the deaths
in the under 18 year old group to one year olds,  the logical conclusion from this data is
that the number of worldwide deaths from bottle feeding among infants are far in excess
of the number of deaths from guns.

Best, Susan Burger