Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:38:44 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
Check the archives for something like "retaining stools". It was almost a contest of who had a baby go the longest between stooling. If this starts, it should be at least after 6-8 weeks of age. If all is ok, you'll notice that the stool is still normal, just larger in volume. It's very frequently all day, or a major blowout (get the bucket!!!). Constipation is hard, dry, formed stools that are painful to pass. It is not related solely to frequency of passing.
I think the record was 21 days. Was that one of Jack Newman's babies?? (a client's baby, not HIS!)
No need for glycerine suppositories. A good baby massage can help with the 'gas' or that 'overfull' feeling, and help baby move it right along, even when baby really doesn't want to give it up.
Of course, you monitor weight gain, hydration, color, eat/sleep patterns, normal milestones, and ALL those other keys to the Whole Baby.
Phyllis in Phoenix, AZ

-----Original Message-----
 My peer counselors are complaining of late that many of the women they speak to are having "constipation" issues.  It's not true constipation because the bowel movements when they occur are soft but they are occuring way too infrequently as to be causing pain prior to elimination.  One baby went for 10days.  These infants are approx. 1mo to 3mo old.  I'm concerned because at this point we know 4 families this is affecting.  None of them are supplimenting with formula or solids.  I'm stumped!  This has personally affected one of my peer counselors and she occassionally gave her baby a suppository when it was apparent that she saw her getting uncomfortable after a week of so of not moving her bowels.  Aside from this little issue all the babies seem fine with no other medically complicating problems.  I know it's normal for up to a week not to have a bowel movement but
what about when the baby is visibly uncomfortable?  Is this a trend or just my program?  I haven't ever seen/heard about this occuring so frequently!  Please comment!

Ilene Fabisch, IBCLC
Brockton, MA

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2