From:
Maureen Minchin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 00:44:04 +1100
>In regards to the autism and casein content in breastmilk.

I have just been dropping in and out of Lactnet as my mother hasn't been
well and work pressures remain huge. If no one has said all this before, it
may be worth pointing out:
that bovine casein and human casein are not identical;
that there is vastly less casein in human milk;
that there is no evidence that human casein causes such problems, and it is
extremely implausible that it would;
that there has always been evidence that cows' milk ingestion in infancy is
linked with autism and other cerebral disturbances, so that one scientist
has referred to artificial feeding quite aptly as "qualitative
dysnutrition"..

Why would anyone think of suggesting that breastmilk casein is connected
when autism was first recognised in the US in the depths of the cm era (and
attributed to "cold" mothers, of course, since it couldn't be what they had
been feeding their babies when that hadn't been breastmilk!)

No I don't have time to reference but I did review this for an ILCA
conference one time, maybe 1991 I think. Cheers, Maureen

Maureen Minchin, IBCLC.PO Box 1221, St.Kilda Sth, Vic. 3182 Australia.
Book orders: [log in to unmask]