Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 09:00:25 -0500
> << The hemoglobin is the issue...  you
>  don't need a CBC [complete blood count] unless you have a good reason
from
>  history or physical exam... >> Gail

 You can't tell much from just a Hgb or Hct - strictly a screening test.
> A CBC will give you much more helpful information - RBC's, MCV, MCH,
MCHC,
> RDW, platelet count.............  Andrew

I don't do CBCs on patients just because they are breastfeeding...
and still feel that a fingerstick hgb is an adequate test to  "screen" for
anemia.
If there is a reason from the physical exam, then a CBC is a good tool to
"evaluate" anemia as you have mentioned.

All I hear, though, is that these two are breastfeeding.  Not that any
indication to evaluate is present.

Gail
Gail S. Hertz, MD, IBCLC
Resident,  Dept. of Pediatrics