From:
Vicky York <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Dec 2008 21:53:00 -0800
I worked with a French woman with twins. after 6 weeks or so both babies
went to having one bowel movement every 4 days. So I thought it was a
family/inherited thing. Her diet was very good as is often the case with the
French and her babies were getting the best option ...breast milk along with
lots of attachment/love and good care.  Plus Jack Newman had said some
babies could go much longer than that between poops and he wasn't worried at
all, nor is he worried about color of poops. so i haven't given it any more
thought either. I want to learn more about this. I don't see how normal
newborn babies can both have problems with oral-motor function (and if they
did, wouldn't they be underweight from not getting enough milk?). How can
the mother's gut function affect her baby's gut function? If the baby's
allergic to something in her diet does that mean she is allergic to it as
well? This is probably more than we want to get into, allergies being so
mysterious and hard to pinpoint. But I thought a mothers milk was good no
matter what. I have heard that mothers in 3rd world countries who even eat
out of dumpsters make good milk for their babies and everyone in their
family can be malnourished with big bellies except the breastfeeding baby
who always gets well nourished because it's breastmilk. So how can a healthy
baby go so far wrong on breastmilk. I agree he could be allergic to one of
the solid foods he's getting and that adding more fruits and vegies is
ridiculous. But if he's getting mostly breastmilk and just teaspoons of
solids a day how can pasty poops be serious.  I obviously need a lot of
education about allergies & breastmilk and you don't need to educate me if
it's something I should have known.

Vicky York, CPD, IBCLC
Postpartum Care Services
Portland, OR

www.vickyyorkpostpartumdoula.com
references:  www.ikarma.com/user/vmyork

>  Whenever I hear LCs and other HCPs tell moms that it is normal for babies
to stool infrequently, I am terribly concerned for those babies who often
will exhibit further symptoms of poor gut health down the road. Sometimes
those symptoms are obvious, like in the baby you describe and often they are
also mistaken for "normal" function or viewed as personality traits such as
behaviour problems, skin conditions, sleep disturbances, learning
disabilities or the myriad of other indications of poor gut integrity.?
Pasty stools are on the most common indications I see of food allergy,
especially in older babies. Milk of mag is a short-term solution--pronged
use can cause reduced potassium and fiolate absorption.

> I agree with Lee that the baby should be evaluated for TT and other
possible problems with oral-motor function. I also agree with Judy that
babies with poor gut function benefit enormously from structural work. OTOH,
I would be looking into food allergies first and foremost. Expecting babies
to outgrow allergies is unrealistic--no one outgrows allergies, but the gut
can most certainly heal. I would suggest a thorough evaluation of the
mother's diet, her gut function and indications of gut dysfunction in the
baby and suggest treatment accordingly.