From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 1997 14:31:42 -0700
Debbie writes:

I am a little confused though that you said you used supplimental systems
(which we are not to supposed to name by brand name but you all know what I
mean.)  for helping babies with poor suck. Chele Marmet has made it clear on
many occaisions that  the supplimental systems  have no role to play in
helping a baby to learn to suck correctly. It's appropriate use in my opinion
is extremely  limited .  At least in my practice. But perhaps not yours. Can
you clarify what you meant here?

( I will be using the SNS term for ease, not for advertising)

The LC who I work with (as well as other colleagues here in Sacramento) all
use the Sup systems when appropriate.  Why?  BC some parents simply do not
want to syringe feed.  It can be difficult to master and do correctly, and
it is time consuming.  Chele has changed her views on the SNS type systems
over the last few years and that is fine.  I can see her point about how
using a P Syringe (Periodontal Syringe) and finger feeding can train a baby
to suck better than an SNS.  BUT, we are back to what the parent will do and
feels comfortable with.  I feel that the tubing is a pain to work with, but
quite frankly, if I needed to feed my baby, I would much rather finger feed
with an SNS than with that darn syringe anytime.  I did it with the
P-syringe and I didn't like it at all.  Now, I DO NOT make my own personal
bias known to clients (that would be inappropriate), I give them a choice
(or rather the LC working with them does).  We show them how each system
works and let them decide.
I, personally, think it is possible to use an SNS to teach a baby to suck
correctly whether on a finger or on the breast.  It can be used to give a
bolus (encouragger/treat) when the baby demonstrates proper suck technique,
just as the syringe.  The LC I work with has done this numerous times with
numerous babies and has had many successes.  She also uses the P-syringe
with many successes as well.
Just because Chele is Chele doesn't mean that she is always right.  I love
Chele dearly, and she is a friend of mine, but as in any profession, we
don't always have to agree.  She helped me out greatly with my major BF
problems with my 2nd son (story #3 in my first post).  I respect and admire
her a lot.  But that doesn't mean I will always agree with what the guru of
BF says.
There are, as I said, many uses for all the tools we have at our disposal.
Each one has its place and we all need to keep our options open.  Many
times, if we just give a baby time, as Chris H has said, the baby will L-O
just fine with no interventions.  WHay be in such a darn hurry to get that
baby L-O within the first few hours, or first 24?  SOme babies need time.
We as professionals need to know what to watch for and when to intervene.
SOmetimes a baby with a sleepy l-o or a sloppy l-o will suddenly "get-it" on
day 3 and do fine.  But some folks want to hurry up the process and
intervene with some tool.
So, to end this rambling, I see a valid place for SNS's, cups, suck
training, p-syringes, nip shields, etc.  They all are appropriate in
different circumstances.  I have seen more than a few cases where the first
try with an SNS (starter sys) got baby going just fine, so mom didn't have
to fiddle with the shield and try to tkae it off mid feed, or risk her milk
supply or baby becoming addicted.
I am not sure I agree with a nip shield being appropriate for bubble
palates, however.  A babe with a bubble palate, in my experience, typically
wants to stuff the palate with breast tissue.  The key there is to convince
baby to keep the nipple from being part of that tissue and learn to suck
properly to aviod that.  I just don't see a nip shield stretching back far
enough to teach that to a baby.  Now, I could be wrong, and I will be
discussing this with my mentors here.  The babes I have worked with with
bubble palates, all had super-sensitive gag reflexes, so we taught mom and
dad how to "suck train" with baby to get baby past that enough to where baby
could take the breast in his mouth properly, thereby keeping the nipple out
of that bubble, and getting it to the back of the throat where it belongs.
BTW, to me, suck training IS mom and dad letting baby suck on their finger
and mom and dad doing specific things while baby is sucking to "teach" baby
to suck properly.  Whether it be gently (pressure so light you hardly know
you're doing it) pressing down on the back of the tongue to teach baby to
not raise the back of the tongue up (thereby teaching them to keep that
tongue forward in proper position), or any other specific movement of the
finger to "train" the baby to suck properly.  This is my version of "Suck
Training".  It is what I was taught by Chele herself.   Many babies have
been "taught" to suck properly by using suck training for a few moments and
then immediately transitioning baby to breast while baby is "doing it right".
Enough for now.
My baby needs me!
Jay
Enjoying the discussion...

Jay Simpson, CLE
Sacramento, CA
"No Miracles performed here, just a lot of love and hard work."