From:
Dot Newbold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 May 1998 15:33:11 +0930
MReiske wrote

Re:>"Nursing on demand" - With the new AAP Guidelines that specifically
state that
>crying is a late indicator of hunger I think the phrase I have been using
for
>several years, "Nursing of request' , also gives new moms a better and more
>positive idea of what is to expect.  I have always thought the the word
>"demand" gave a very negative image of an infant indicating that he wants
>nurse.

Nursing Mothers' in Australia gave up this term quite some years ago now for
similar reasons.  What we have used instead is feeding "according to need"
which focusses on the very real need that the infant has for the breast (not
only for food but for comfort and closeness), but also recognises the dyad.
That is, that mothers too have needs and that, as a mother, it is OK to
offer the breast just because you feel the need... whether it be for
closeness, or because you are feeling uncomfortable, or, as I did in my own
lactations, to activate the conditioned relaxation response of breastfeeding
when unable to sleep after a busy day or when coming home hyped up after a
night out.

Dot Newbold
NMAA Counsellor
mailto:[log in to unmask]