From:
Yvonne Bannister <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Oct 1998 22:57:33 EST
Lacnuts,

I REALLY need your help.  This is what I have on Pyloric stenosis (R&A and
Lawrence).  Is there anything else that I should include?  Is this okay just
the way it is to submit to a newsletter?  Is Pyloric Stenosis more prevalent
in a certain disorders?  I need to turn something in by Tuesday, October 27th,
please help!!  I am really new to all of this writing business, but I really
want to make a go of it.  Thanks in advance!

Pyloric Stenosis

Pyloric Stenosis, a hypertrophy of the pyloric sphincter, occurs about 2 to 5
of 1000 live births.  It usually develops between the second and sixth weeks
of life although it can occur anytime after birth.   It is evident by vomiting
that is intermittent at first and progresses to include every feeding and the
vomiting is often projectile.  These infants in time become anxious and
irritable due to weight loss and dehydration.  Mothers of these infants remark
that their babies are eager feeders who bo back for more milk. The problem is
usually not seen in a breastfed infant and if it does occur growth and health
is often evident despite the problem due to the digestive enzymes found in
breast milk.  Breast milk is also the only feed that can be aspirated and not
irritate the lungs.

Mothers are encouraged to use the force of gravity to help keep the food down
by feeding the baby in a more upright position and by keeping the baby upright
after feeds.  Thickening of feeds may also be necessary which will be
determined by a doctor.  According to Dr. Ruth Lawrence "Therapy consists of
pyloromyotomy following correction of the dehydration and associated
electrolyte abnormalities.  If the procedure is uncomplicated, the infant can
the infant is alert and sucking well.  The breastfed infant may be discharged
in 24 hours if nursing has gone well.  If the duodenum is entered at the time
of surgery, gastric decompression and intravenous fluids will be necessary and
oral fluids delayed several days until signs of healing occur.  A breastfed
infant may resume nursing earlier than a bottle-fed infant returns to formula
because of the rapid emptying time of the stomach and the zero curd tension of
the milk."

Smiles,
Yvonne
Yvonne C. Bannister, LLLL, IBCLC
Temporarily in Bordentown, NJ (USA)
Private Practice/Baby's BestFeeding
"A mother holds her baby . . . who lovingly holds her breast and gets the
best!"
Mail to:[log in to unmask]