Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 1998 11:28:11 -0600
Lisa M. just described an offensive ad for formula.  And I just today went
out and bought Dr.Susan Love's Breast Book.  It has been suggested often on
Lactnet.

But, in my opinion, the Breastfeeding section isn't much better than the
breastfeeding material put out by the formula companies. I was quite
disappointed.  In the section "Breast Feeding vs Bottle Feeding" for each
positive statement about breastfeeding ( 2 paragraphs) the book has a
"however..."

Nutritional benefit is mentioned but is followed by, "We've done a pretty
impressive job in modifying cow's milk to be close to human milk."

There is one paragraph on bonding with disclaimers.  Then there are 8 full
paragraphs of disadvantages of breastfeeding, ending with telling us that
"most women in the US are well enough off to be able to choose between
breast and bottle feeding" and "take into consideration your own needs and
priorities." The "disadvantages" are the usual anti-breastfeeding
discouragements.

Listed as "myth" is breastfeeding's lowering the risk for breast cancer. It
is noted that women lactating for 6 mos. or more before the age of 20 had
half the risk of breast cancer, but after age 20 there is "only a slight
reduction of risk for most women," and concludes, "These are interesting
findings, but not very useful for most women in our culture."

However, in sections of the book on preventive measures, making changes for
even a slight benefit are strongly encouraged.

Now, I haven't read the entire book (600+ pages), but I see it as certainly
not a "breastfeeding friendly" publication. In my opinion, it not only is
not supportive of breastfeeding, but is downright dissuasive.

I would much prefer to have bought one of Dr. Hale's books to send to a
"needy" MD.

Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee
mailto:[log in to unmask]